Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Meet This Week's Judge: Moments by Mancuso

We're thrilled to have the fabulously talented Tonya of Moments by Mancuso as guest judge this week. Read on to learn more about her!



1. Tell us about yourself...
      Hey everyone, I am Tonya from Moments by Mancuso.  I started this photography journey a little over a year now but wish I had started decades ago!  I am a mother of 3 girls, a wife to a fun and extreme husband, and an ex-teacher.  I stay home now and it allows me to have beautiful models at a moments whim! I don’t consider myself a “professional” but I do offer documentary-like services, mostly word of mouth. I am just thankful that God has allowed me the opportunity to see life in a new way-through my lens!




2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?
I know you haven’t heard this one yet but I started a passion for photography when I had my children.  Weird, right?  Anyhow, when I was younger I lost all my childhood pictures in a house fire.  I really miss being able to have those memories and I didn’t want that for my girls.  I’ve taken pictures of them doing everything so that they’ll have something to remember their childhood by.  Having something tangible that portrays my kids’ lives is how my passion started.  What fuels it now is having that for my girls, family, friends and clients.  Everyone should have these memories reserved for the future!



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 
I always get slightly embarrassed with this question but we all start somewhere, right?  I have a Sony A77 crop-sensor, an 18-135 3.5-5.5 lens, a 50 1.8 lens and 2 batteries. I use the 18-135 the most because of the wide angle I need for tight spaces (for in-home sessions). However, it’s really not that sharp of a lens but that’s what I have. 




4. What’s your dream project or shoot?
My dream project, which would be way down the road, would be to spend time and document the lives of the homeless. My heart has always been drawn to those who have no place to call their own, to lay their heads down every night with warmth and peace. Shooting clients is amazing too but I want to do something with my God-given gift that would benefit those less fortunate.



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? 
My biggest challenge as a photographer would be thinking I am good enough to make this into a business.  I haven’t been at this very long but it’s still hard for me to take money for my services.  I have had many photographer friends tell me to start out with pricing that would be worth being away from my family for.  I have taken their advice and have priced myself higher than the MANY new photographers in the area (offering all their images and rights for $40)!  Although, I have a very different style than these other newbies, I still have a hard time believing I am good enough to charge more than them.  So all in all, my biggest challenge is self-doubt! 



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography… I would buy a new lens.  I have been eyeing a few but it’s been hard to seal the deal.  Not everything is compatible with my Sony so that also makes it hard to decide.  I know I want a wide angle with 1.4 or 1.8. Only time will tell what I’ll end up getting.

How do you wish you could spend it? A full-frame

How would you really spend it? I’d probably NOT spend it.  So indecisive!



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?  
Luckily, I started getting involved in some wonderful communities with artists that have offered wonderful advice.  So, I believe I heard it all before I really took the leap.  However, one thing that is still hard to control, even though I was warned, is comparing yourself to other photographers.  Not everyone has the same equipment, the same experience, the same vision and so on. No matter how much time you invest right away, you aren’t going to master it.  It takes time to figure it all out and even those photographers that you admire have areas that they feel weak in.  I have yet met a photographer that feels they have mastered it!



Follow Tonya of Moments by Mancuso here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts